Beginning Band at FVMS
Here are some basic FAQ regarding beginning band. Please feel free to contact the band director at [email protected] if you have any questions.
- ANY child can take Band. No prior music knowledge is necessary.
- Each child must provide his/her own instrument and method book.
- Students should have a good attitude and work ethic. Band students are usually the most responsible and disciplined students of a school.
- Students may take Beginning band ONLY in the 6th grade.
- Band is a scheduled elective. Students are not pulled from other classes to take Band.
- Band takes place during the school day.
- Band meets daily for the full year.
- Students should try Band in 6th grade. If they feel that it is not for them, the have two years of middle school to try other things. Parents and students often say that they wish they had given it a try when they had the chance.
- Sixth graders may begin on Flute, Clarinet, Alto Saxophone (provided their hands are large enough), Trumpet, Trombone and Percussion. Percussionists play Bells until second semester and will begin learning the drums other percussion after passing a proficiency test. There are limits to the number of Alto Saxophones, Percussion and Flutes allowed to maintain proper instrumentation.
- Rent or purchase the best instrument you can afford. Low priced “off-brand” instruments may be cheaper but they usually do not play very well and are sometimes impossible to repair.
- If you do not get your instrument from a reputable music dealer, please allow Ms. Gorham to inspect it for mechanical problems.
- Music and Arts Center, a local music instrument dealer, will hold a rental meeting in the FVMS band room during the spring (date to be published on the website later), so no action is required on your part before that time. This rental meeting is provided simply as a convenience to our band parents. You are under no obligation to obtain an instrument from any particular company.
- Learn to read music- a lifelong benefit.
- Learn to play a music instrument- a skill that can be enjoyed for a lifetime!
- Feeling of belonging to a valuable and respected group
- Develop self-confidence in learning new skills